Who said that a sweet breakfast can’t be healthy? Plantains are a staple in many tropical countries, and although they’re known as “dessert bananas”, they make a great breakfast side, and they’re packed with nutrients!
Why we love plantains:
- They’re a great source of complex carbohydrates, which digest slower and keep you fuller, longer - helping you curb unhealthy snacking throughout the day.
- They aid in your digestive health since they’re high in fiber.
- They’re great for heart health as they’re full of potassium as well as antioxidants from Vitamin C.
- They’re a non-seasonal crop, making them available for delicious recipes all year round.
- They’re versatile! They can serve as a healthy side dish, be made into soup, or fried for breakfast - as in the recipe below!
Try this quick and easy plantain-inspired recipe today!
- Peel the plantains
- Slice into 1/4" thick slices on a diagonal
- Coat each slice in Vanilla Plant Protein
- Shake off excess powder
Stove Top Instructions:
Preheat coconut oil in a sauté pan or skillet on medium heat. Once hot, add the plantains in a single layer. Cook for about 30 seconds on each side. Serve immediately.
Air Fryer Instructions:
Preheat the air fryer to 300 degrees. Add the plantains in a single layer and cook for about 3 minutes on each side. Serve immediately.
If you found this interesting, check out these related stories:
Strawberry Protein Smoothie Recipe
Blueberry Protein Overnight Oats Recipe