Note: No Life’s Abundance products are involved in this or any other recall.
On March 27th, the FDA announced a massive recall of 140 lots of dog and cat food produced by Midwestern Pet Foods. This voluntary recall spans many brands and is the result of possible Salmonella contamination.
What Pet Parents Should Know
- The list of affected brands includes Earthborn Holistic, Venture, CanineX, Unrefined, Sportmix Wholesomes, Pro Pac, Pro Pac Ultimates, Sportstrail, Sportmix and Meridian.
- The complete list of affected lots can be found at FDA.gov.
- The FDA advises to discard the recalled products in a way that children, pets and wildlife cannot access them.
- They also recommend washing your hands and any dishes or utensils that have come into contact with the recalled food.
- No illnesses have been reported as a result of the recalled dog and cat foods to date.
What Is Salmonella
Salmonella is a bacteria that affects both people and animals. It is transmitted through contact with contaminated food or surfaces that may have been contaminated by the recalled products. Thorough hand washing and sanitizing contact surfaces can reduce the risk of symptoms including: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramping or fever.
The GI symptoms are very similar in dogs and cats who contract Salmonella, and they may also experience lethargy or decreased appetite. If you or your dog or cat experience any of these symptoms after having contact with a recalled food, contact the appropriate healthcare provider.
For a complete list of the 140 recalled lots, visit FDA.gov.
A Safer Solution
At Life's Abundance, we have a much better and safer way of making pet foods and notifying consumers should a problem ever arise. As for consumer safety, we view the system of product recalls as problematic. That is because most consumers will never hear about a recall. Yet because of our direct relationship with consumers we know who received which product, down to the lot number. In the event there is ever an issue with a product, our proactive communications system allows us to reach thousands of people by phone in just one hour, ensuring that we can contact all affected customers quickly. We can also reach them by email and even through the mail.
We hope the information we shared with you will do two things. One, alert unsuspecting dog and cat food consumers of this situation, and two, help you feel even more confident about Life's Abundance and our commitment to helping families, including our pets, live long, healthy lives!
If you found this interesting, check out these related stories:
The Recall System Is Putting You At Risk
Bulletin: FDA Recall Issued After Dog Deaths